When it comes to your child, how can you be sure that you’re choosing gifts that are appropriate? Where toys for toddlers are concerned, it can be even more challenging. Here we are going to offer some tips as to how to pick out toys that will nurture and challenge your child's social-emotional, language, physical, and thinking skills. These toys will also be more likely to grow with your child than might others.
Toddlers learn by doing. They are more or less little explorers. Your child has a stellar opportunity to practice new skills and develop at their own pace through play. It gives them the chance to pursue their own unique interests. Your child's development can be shaped in important ways through the playthings and toys that are available.
CHOOSING TODDLER TOYS
What could be so hard about choosing a toy for a toddler? It should be easy, right? The only thing easy about it is the overwhelmed feeling you get when you walk into today's toy stores! For the toddler market, a massive array of toys has been created. Where your child is concerned, how do you know which one is right. How long will it last? How's the quality? For more than a few days or weeks, will it engage your child's interest?
Here are a few ideas to help you pick the right toys for your toddler.
CROSS-GENERATIONAL PLAY SHOULD BE NURTURED THROUGH TOYS
While almost anything can be played together when children and adults combined, there are some items that are more adult participation oriented. Fun for all ages are simple boardgames or games that use the participant’s memory and are appropriate for kids age 3 and above.
To encourage playing together, set aside a family game night. Relationship building, language, memory, matching, and counting skills are encouraged by boardgames. So are self-control and listening skills. Kids will also learn about coping with losing and being a gracious winner.
ENCOURAGE ACTIVITY WITH THE RIGHT TOYS
As toddlers become more confident with their bodies and stronger, they will be able to do all sorts of physical tricks. Your job, as a parent, is to watch carefully, laugh, applaud, and basically do whatever you can to encourage and appreciate their achievements on the playground, in the backyard, etc.
Perfectly sized rakes or other gardening/yard tools, wagons, pool toys, toddler sized basketball hoops, plastic bowling sets, three wheeled scooters (don't forget the protective gear), balls, and so on will help your child develop new physical skills while honing current skills.
TOYS THAT PREPARE YOUR CHILD FOR READING
Yes, it's too early to actually read, more likely than not. But that doesn't mean you can’t start getting your child ready. Use real-life things such as magazines, catalogs, menus, and more as well as toys/supplies such as magnetic alphabet letters, simple books, etc.
Here is a handful of additional ideas that should be taken into account when looking for toddler appropriate toys:
- "Real stuff" toys are great. These are toys that your child can "play" with but closely resemble real life things like dust pans, brushes, mops, brooms, musical instruments, dressy clothing, phones, keys, food and plastic dishes, etc.
- If it encourages your child's imagination, it's a good toy. This can include dollhouses, trains and trucks, dolls and stuffed animals, action figures, blocks, and more.
- Toys that encourage problem-solving and exploration are preferable such as Play-Doh, crayons, paint, clay, blocks, puzzles, and more.
- As child grows, the toy should grow with them. Toys that can be enjoyed at various stages of development can include dolls and stuffed animals, trains and dump trucks, doll houses, action figures, plastic toy animals, and more.
- Toys that offer variety are a good choice. These can include sand and toys for water play, nesting blocks or cups, interlocking blocks and regular blocks, and more. Logical thinking and problem-solving skills should be developed through your child's use of imagination when playing with these toys.
TOYS FOR TODDLERS AND MORE AT KIDPOWERED
When it comes to toys, you just can't beat the wide selection of high-quality toys at Kidpowered. We have children of all ages covered with our vast array of themed playthings. Shop by brand, theme, or category – or simply browse through our entire inventory at your leisure. The thing to remember is this: before you purchase a toy for your toddler anywhere else, shop at Kidpowered.