Toys with engineering and building components – construction toys – help a child make something from nothing which helps them feel accomplished. Even adults can appreciate that. For this very reason, to both parents and children alike, building and construction toys are appealing and popular for childhood development.
There are three areas where your child will benefit when playing with these types of toys.
- Creativity – As they build exciting and new structures, scenes, and shapes, a child can flex their imagination when playing with construction toys.
- Socialization – Kids can practice cooperation, compromise, and patience when using construction toys to build something together with others.
- Physicality – As they assemble pieces, bricks, or blogs when playing with construction toys, fine motor skills are practiced and developed in children of all ages.
Children can play together when using building and construction toys. If they aren’t around other kids, these toys are still a huge source of entertainment and beneficial to children playing by themselves. As a solitary activity, playing with construction toys allows a child's imagination to go wherever it may – unrestricted by the ideas of others.
SET UP CREATIVE LIMITS
This is a way to change things up a bit when your child plays with construction toys. See what they build when you set some creative guidelines. Here are a few examples:
- Select 20 random pieces. Now tell your child to build something with just those pieces.
- If the pieces are colored differently, challenge your child to build something using only the red pieces, just the blue pieces, etc.
- Present the challenge to construct the tallest but still stable building they possibly can. Remember, it must be stable!
You may be surprised at the results. Children will be able to practice problem-solving and their creativity encouraged by putting these minor limits on their building and construction. Rather than thinking of them as limits, refer to them as challenges.
Encourage children not to segregate their building toys. There's no reason that wooden blocks and construction bricks can't get along. Whenever appropriate, allow your children to combine toys of various types in an effort to expand their power of construction and creativity.
TRY AND TRY AGAIN
Being able to build something over and over again not only encourages improvement but demonstrates the pure beauty of construction toys. Possibly the creative building project your child put together isn't what they'd hoped it would be. Maybe a mistake was made during building. Possibly another project requires pieces already in the building they made. Deconstructing and then reconstructing structures is healthy. It provides an opportunity for children to learn about errors, fixing mistakes, and going on to make something that is new and improved.
BUILDING, CONSTRUCTION, AND NUMEROUS OTHER TYPES OF TOYS AT KIDPOWERED
KidPowered is fully aware of the importance of building and construction toys, as well as other playthings that help children develop skills and encourage them to use their imagination. The way your children play today shapes the adults they will become. We all want the best for our kids. That's one of the most important reasons to buy your children's next toys at KidPowered.
Check out our impressive inventory today.